This is a project I started back in 2003. I began with two nice pieces of Honduran mahogany, two inches thick. I made a paper pattern of the body shape and the neck shape, then traced the outline of each onto the boards.
A friend of mine cut them out on his bandsaw. I tried to make the size and shape of the guitar close to that of a Rickenbacher bakelite steel guitar.
For the fretboard I used another piece of mahogany. I measured off the fret spacing, sawed the slots and glued in strips of light colored wood. The dot markers are made from wood dowel.
The nut and bridge I made out of aluminum using a hacksaw, a couple of files, lots of sanding and polished them with a cloth buffing wheel on a bench grinder.
The pickguard is made from plexiglass, painted black on the back side. The pickup I put on it originally was a Lawrence 705 copy. I have since replaced it with a Truetone single coil pickup. The tuning keys are Grovers.
It took me about two years to complete it, working on it whenever I had a little spare time. The pictures show some of the various stages of construction.
I am very pleased with how it turned out, being my first attempt at building an instrument. It has a great tone, mellow and full. With the eight string C6th tuning I have on it, you can get some big, fat chords. It sounds great for western swing.